If you have spotted black mold growing on your walls, don’t ignore it. Not only are the spores unpleasant to look at, they can irritate your respiratory system and lead to further damage to plaster and wall coverings. If you wait, the problem will only get worse and may also contaminate air ducts and other building materials.
The best way to remove surface stains caused by mildew and mold is to use white distilled vinegar. This is an affordable, effective mold remover that doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals. Simply mix it with water, pour into a spray bottle and apply to the affected area. If the stains persist, scrub them with a brush and wipe away with a dry towel. Repeat as necessary until the stains are removed.
To kill more extensive mold Mold Removal Tampa growth, a solution of one part bleach to three parts water can be used. It’s important to open a window and keep the fan running during this step. Wear rubber gloves and a mask to protect yourself from the fumes.
In addition to removing visible mold, a good cleaning regimen will help prevent the spread of spores and future re-growth. The first step is to identify and repair the source of moisture that allowed the spores to grow in the first place. This could mean fixing a leaky roof or rerouting foundation drainage in a basement. After repairing the source of moisture, it’s vital to clean the area to remove dirt and debris that encourage mold growth.
All non-porous materials and wood surfaces that have been contaminated by mold must be cleaned. This can be done with a wire brush or a disposable wipe. Discarded wipes should be placed in 6 mil polyethylene bags, double-bagged and tied closed before placing in regular trash.
If the spores are still in the drywall, a screwdriver can be used to probe for hidden mold in a wall and to open up damaged areas for repair. Be careful not to cut any electrical wires. Once the drywall has been repaired, mist it with the cleaning mixture to kill any remaining mold spores and to prevent them from spreading to other areas.
A wet/dry vacuum should be used to clean up contaminated materials and to dry the area as soon as possible. Immediately transferring contaminated materials to plastic bags will prevent further contamination of the house. Larger quantities of mold damaged materials should be taken to a hazardous waste company for proper disposal. It is also important to address the factors that led to the mold infestation in the first place. This can include correcting humidity levels, repairing any leaks and ensuring that building materials are adequately dried.